Welcome, Students & Visitors
- Miller Hall 201A
- Department Chair
Dr. M. Chuck Lambert
- Department Manager
Pam Clark Hamilton
- For program information contact:
What is Special Education?
There are two definitions of special education. One is the education of students with disabilities. The other is the application of exceptional teaching. We in the special education program at Western Washington University believe very strongly in the second definition. We think that it is our mission to prepare exceptional teachers and, while students who have disabilities often require the services of such teachers, we also believe that there are many other students who can benefit from high quality instruction. We also think that there is much satisfaction to be gained from the acquisition of the highest levels of teaching skill and that the teachers trained in our program benefit professionally and personally from the acquisition of theses skill. That is why the word “special” in our title is a source of pride to us and to our graduates.
Degrees, Certificates & Endorsements
in Special Education
Our curriculum is a carefully sequenced professional program that is grounded
in current research on effective teaching and learning, consistent with state
and national standards pertaining to skills and knowledge for Special Education
Please see links below for detailed program information.
- Special Education Major - This plan of study leads to an endorsement in Special Education P-12.
- Special Education P-12 & Elementary Education (Dual Endorsement) - This major integrates studies in Special Education and Elementary Education.
- Early Childhood Special Education Major - This major is designed to prepare personnel to work with children ages birth to eight years who are identified as at-risk for developmental delay or other disability.
Special Education Post Baccalaureate Certification Program -
The post baccalaureate program in Special Education leads to a Washington State teacher certification with an endorsement in Special Education P-12.
- M.Ed. in Special Education - The Graduate Program is currently not accepting applications. Please consult the Graduate School section of the general WWU Catalog.
Special Education Endorsement Program for Certified Teachers -
The Teacher Education Outreach Program offers a 45-credit program that leads to an additional endorsement in Special Education P-12.
Preparing Thoughtful, Knowledgeable, and Effective Educators
for a Diverse Society